Date:
Sat, 9 May 1998 08:22:38 -0500
>Has anyone experience with a 1yo who breastfeeds and eats solids...

What solids?  At what age were solids begun?  Instead of looking at the
breastmilk (>When put to breast, it recieves the milk
and sugar, feels OK. End result is overeating and too much weight gain.)
they should be looking at what other foods baby is eating.  "Baby food?"
Rice cereal?  Teething biscuits?  High calorie snacks? Dairy products? In a
baby 9 months to 1 year, breastmilk is not the problem, as it is still the
major food for the baby.

Baby was perhaps not ready for solids when they were introduced.  Or
perhaps there is allergy here.  Overeating can come from food allergies.
Did mom introduce dairy products at 9 months or so?  Was baby colicky as an
infant?

I think a food diary for a few days of everything baby consumes would help
to find where the problem lies.

She could try eliminating all but low-allergenic vegetables for a while and
see how baby does.

On a personal note, I am sensitive to eggs.  If I eat an egg for breakfast,
by 10:00 I feel as if I have not eaten for a day--stomach gnawing,
irritable.  However, if I have other foods at breakfast, I can comfortably
to until lunch time without hunger.

Another question is were there changes in mom's diet at that 9 month
period?  Did she start dieting?  Using artificial sweeteners?  Introduce
other foods that she had been avoiding before?

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee

mailto:[log in to unmask]