Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 12 May 1998 10:56:09 EDT
Heather writes,

<< It seems to me that breastfeeding supporters should
 resist any attempts to subject an individual's breast milk to these
 unfounded tests. The mindset should be challenged - do others agree? >>

While I agree that breastmilk changes from minute to minute, hour to hour,
feed to feed, I do think that having some idea of the caloric value of
breastmilk, especially since IMHO, it probably changes and gets more caloric
dense as the baby gets older, could lay to rest the notion that ALL breastmilk
of ALL mothers at ALL times is no more than 20 calories/ounce.  While it
worked well for the mom I spoke about -- prevented her baby from getting 24
cal/ounce Similac, I'm not for a moment suggesting that all moms should do
this.  It might be useful, however, if a baby seems to be not taking in the
specific "volume" expected in an intance.  If we are expecting babies to take
in 120 kcal/kg/day (or 117, or 115, or 110 or whatever number), then it is
helpful to know what the caloric value of the food is that we are feeding him,
n'cest pas?

For the normal, healthy, well gaining baby, who gives a flip?  But if the baby
isn't gaining well (for whatever reason), or is a preterm baby, and the powers
that be have determined that said baby needs x number of cc of breastmilk or
he will be supplemented with x number of cc of formula, wouldn't it be helpful
to know, at least generally, how many calories his mom's breastmilk is so the
amounts could be adjusted accordingly?  Why are we using the caloric value of
formula as a basis (which, by the way, is based on the caloric value of cow's
milk).

When was the original study done that determined that the caloric value of
breastmilk was 20 calories/ounce?  (Or, I think, generally expressed as 75
cal/100 ml).  Upon whom was this testing done?  How?  How many women were
tested?  What length of time postpartum?

I have visions of 100's of women dumping breastmilk into a large vat, which is
then stirred (not shaken), and one test done with someone saying, "Aha!  Just
as we thought!  Just like cow's milk!!!"

Can someone refer me back to the original study?  Is there an original study?

Jan Barger; Wheaton, IL