From:
DawnLanser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:31:55 EDT
Hi all,  I  have a problem with my  9 month old exclusively bf infant.   After
being on amoxicillin for 2 days  for an ear infection, she had explosive
diarrhea and went to the family practice dr. for advice.  He said stop
breastfeeding for 2 days and do the BRAT diet.  He said bf and the antibiotic
was irritating the colon.  I just looked at him with a crazed look and said
sorry, but with all that I knew, the best thing was to bf.  The antibiotic was
stopped on Monday, I continue to bf and she still continues to have very
frequent but  not quite as explosive stools after every feeding.  She is well
hydrated, just crabby with the tummy ache.  Her poor bottom is really broken
down.  I should have stock in Pam**rs.   I did not start the new antibiotic he
prescribed.  I  do see progress, I think, but it is slow.  Any advice?  I plan
on bringing in your responses to our next visit.  This Dr. refers his patients
to me for bf advice.  He is a bf advocate, but what about this outdated
thinking?
TIA, Dawn Lanser, RN,BSN,ACCE,
sitting for IBCLE in July.
debuting web site the natural way.org this weekend, hopefully.