Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 09:32:32 EDT
Jack mentions:

<< An orthopedic surgeon at the Hospital for Sick Children once wrote
 about what he called the "Ulysses Syndrome".  This is where a blood
 test is done, usually for no good reason (except "screening") >>

I believe this syndrome is rampant in US Newborn Nurseries.  It is called
doing a dex-stick; glucose level; what have you.  And then of course, since
some are done within the hour after birth before the baby has had a chance to
breastfeed or even recoup from the birth, and IF it is below 40, THEN of
course, we MUST give the salvation fluid -- formula.  GAG.

It's also known in OB circles as doing routine Glucoscans on pregnant
women....so we have LOTS and LOTS of gestational diabetics!!!  Amazing how
many more women in the 1990's have GD than they did in the late 70s or early
80s.

Sigh.

Jan