From:
Sallie Ogg Pellon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 14:23:24 EDT
Hi, my name is Sallie Ogg Pellon, and I'm a LLLL in Simsbury, Connecticut.
This is my first post to Lactnet, since I have 2 little girls & barely have
time to lurk.  I found a few references for Dr. Rob on the benefits of
breastfeeding less than 2 months.  I found them through LLLI's Center for
Breastfeeding Information "Facts about Breastfeeding" sheets.

The first two came from the "1989" fact sheet, the third from the "1993"
sheet.  I do not, unfortunately, have anything more current.  It seems the
latest sheets focus on benefits of breastfeeding for 6 months and beyond.

1.  "The presence of severe liver disease and the death rate of those who had
been exclusively breastfed for one month with those who had been bottle-fed
was compared.  Severe liver disease was present in eight (40%) of bottle-fed
and one (8%) of breastfed infants.  Breastfeeding may offer some protection
against severe liver disease and early death in infants with a-antitryspin
deficiency."
Udall, John N. Jr., MD, PhD, et al:  Liver disease in a-antitryspin
deficiency.  JAMA, 1985; 254 (21):3037.

2.  "Breastfeeding, even for a short period, was clearly associated with a
lower incidence of wheeze, prolonged colds, diarrhoea, and vomiting."
Merrett, T.G. et al:  Infant feeding and allergy:  12-month prospective study
of 500 babies born into allergic families.  Ann Allergy, 1988; 61:13-20.

3.  "Children who had consumed mother's milk in the early weeks of life had a
significantly higher IQ at 7 1/28 years than did those who received no
maternal milk."
Lucas, A. et al.  Breast milk and subsequent intelligence quotient in children
born preterm.  Lancet 1992; 339(2):261-64.

I have not read the full text of any of these articles, but the CBI has been a
great resource for me when I've counseled mothers who needed information to
share with their doctors (in addition to these fact sheets, they manage a
computerized database with over 200 different breastfeeding categories).  Hope
these help.
--Sallie