From:
EVONNE5KDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 19:07:33 EDT
I know the subject of parents refusing VIT K injections was discussed not too
long ago.  Today I had a pt who was refusing the injection.  She had already
signed the release form, absolving the hospital of any resposibilty  resulting
from refusing the treatment.  However, the Neonatologist felt like if she
cont. to refuse, he HAD to report it to the department of Human Services.  His
rational, 1in 200-400 babies had a chance of bleeding for up to 6 weeks.  He
wanted someone to watch the baby in the home.  He felt this could be a "crazy"
mom that would just watch the baby die.  This was all prior to meeting with
her of course.   HE also made the comment that especially if this was a
breastfed baby  it could be even worse.  I have no idea what that meant.   She
was very well educated and well read on the subject, she basically thought it
uneeded.  Ended up he encouraged po dose and it was agreed upon.
Evonne