From:
"A. Montgomery" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 11:59:46 -0700
Just wanted to share my pleasure at the new negotiated joint statement of
the American Academy of Family Physicians and American College of
Obstetricians and Gynecologists.   This document discusses family practice
residency training in maternity care and women's health and sets forth the
basis for FP's and OB's to work together in this training.

In addition to the aspects that support family physicians being trained to
provide higher-risk obstetric services, I'm THRILLED to see that they
included "Lactation" in what needs to be core knowledge and that
"Collaborationn with other health care providers" includes lactation
consultants in the list!!  Maybe they have been listening to my raving
after all....and that of others, I'm sure.  ("Lactation" got
"inadvertantly" left out in the last draft, and I don't recall any
comments about LC's before!)

For those of you who want to see it, you can find it on the web:
http://www.afp.org/edu/guide/rep261.html

It will be published in the June issue of American Family Physician.

--
Anne Montgomery, M.D., I.B.C.L.C.
St.Peter Hospital Family Practice Residency