From:
Anne Merewood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 22:49:27 -0500
Well well, turns out crazy rental pump lady (ie me in my rental hat) was
vindicated!!! :) :) :)
Today (about 16 days after baby's birth) Mom called. Baby (born @ 35 weeks)
was discharged on Mon. Mom still pumping and freezing since no test results
yet on whether milk was CMV + or not. (I know, I know).
 Since baby is now out, Mom took her to a pediatrician along with the info
that she has 75 bottles of frozen breastmilk and no OK from hospital
neonatologist on breastfeeding. Pedi (bless his socks) flipped and called
some infectious disease center and after consult told Mom to go ahead and
give the milk. Of course, baby is not latching but Mom is just so elated to
be able to use the milk stock we are not gonna fret about that yet - just
lots of skin to skin, etc. etc.
On top of all this Mom got a $200 invoice from the hospital for the milk
virus test today - and she hasn't even had the results!! Now mom is home
with healthy baby and over NICU fragility/vulnerability Mom is blazing mad
- and very happy I was supportive. This is NOT 'my' hospital BTW. It is a
much larger, much more prestigious institution!!!!
Anne Merewood (who rented a pump to a Mom in prison today. A New
Frontier...[sentence up in a week, baby born today, Mom incarcerated for
bouncing checks 10 years ago. In the meantime has had 2 breastfed babies,
this is #3. Life never ceases to amaze....])