Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 21:53:20 -0400
I appreciate Gail's comments regarding using other professionals as target
practice. Sometimes, it is easy to fall into this pattern, especially when
breastfeeding is treated as though it is completely unimportant by many hcps.

Gail, you are completely right in stressing that using a professional
courteous manner is always the best way to develop a collegial professional
relationship. The one thing that does get difficult at times, is that those
who are very educated and knowledgeable sometimes ignore and even scoff at
recent breastfeeding related research, and for the lc to spend time
researching and sending references, etc, when in fact, many lcs do not get
paid for this time, seems to me to be a large cause of the frustration.

I myself wonder if a physician, who is supposed to be guiding and
knowledgeable leading a patient, does not research and know what recent
research shows on a partciular subject such as breastfeeding, what else does
that physician not know?

With professional control and power come the responsibility to be as
knowledgeable as possible about every issue one deals with, whether it be
diabetes, cancer, immunizations or breastfeeding.  I only take issue when
the person calling the shots is not knowledgeable, or is blatantly ignorant.

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
mailto:[log in to unmask]
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html
For LACTNET quilt raffle: http://together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html