HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
RICHARD H KIMMEL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 17:12:18 Z
     I put the question of a northeast coast shellfish dye to Bill Adams,
     Wetlands Biologist in my office and got this reply (see second
     paragraph):

     Richard-

     Interesting subject. Technically, cochineal dye is *red* and is made
     from a certain species of insect. I don't remember which one (probably
     a beetle) but if you want to know, I can find out. The *purple* dyes
     of antiquity (royal purple of the greco-roman era) came from a species
     of Murex, a marine gastropod, found in the Mediterranean. Again, I
     don't recall the species. Many Phoenicians got rich trading in this
     mollusc.

     There is a family (Thaisidae) of North American marine gastropods
     which have also been used to produce *red* dyes. I have not read
     Josselyn's 17th century report, but if the species came from Maine,
     there was a fair likelihood he was referring to *Thais lapillus*, a
     species with many common names (little rock purple, dog winkle, horse
     winkle, sting winkle). It's fairly common in shallow water from
     Newfoundland south to the New York area. Other species within the
     family also produce red dyes but, to my knowledge, would not be as
     readily available.

     Bill