HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
RICHARD H KIMMEL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 15:58:37 Z
     To JR Cohen-

     Lea Abbott and New South Associates are completing work on a 19th-20th
     century resort and bottling works in VA which may be useful or may
     provide some useful references.  I will send you a copy of the final
     report if I don't run out and if you think it would be useful!!  Lea
     tested and mapped this site several years ago and he and his
     associates presented the results at the 1997 SHA conference.  The site
     is now owned in part by the Corps of Engineers as part of John H. Kerr
     dam and reservoir.  The springs are believed to have been "discovered"
     by William Byrd during NC - VA boundary survey, and an ordinary
     operated here by the turn of the 19th century. A resort and bottling
     plant grew out of the early ordinary and operated continuously until
     the 1930s or 40s.  The place became virtually self-sufficient and the
     bottled water was shipped all over the world.  The water from the
     spring has a high lithia content which may tell you something about
     its effects.

     There has been some scattered work done on taverns and ordinaries and
     perhaps its getting to be time for a symposium on this topic.  The
     historian Daniel Boorstin has made some interesting observations on
     the importance of new west hotels for the evolution of everything from
     toilets to air conditioning, and I suspect we can learn something from
     earlier and more distant sites as well.

     Reply to [log in to unmask] for more.

     Richard Kimmel, Archaeologist
     Corps of Engineers, Wilmington NC