HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jim Gibb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 15:22:49 -0700
Jay R. Cohen wrote:

> I am investigating a mid- to late-eighteenth century Tavern/Inn
> archaeological site in the Hudson River Valley of New York.  I am looking for
> references, and current research from similar site types during the same
> period.  The information does not have to be restricted to the Hudson Valley.J
ay,
The Lost Towns of Anne Arundel Project is excavating a late 17th/early 18th cent
ury (up
to the 1730s?) tavern in London, Maryland, just south of Annapolis. The earthfas
building (at least 20 by 30ft) had a partial cellar, half of which we have excav
ated.
The assemblage includes dozens of wine bottles, tin glazed plates and bowls, lot
s of
faunal remains and other materials. Excavation is still in progress, so the repo
rt will
be some time forthcoming. We will be happy to provide further details off list u
pon
request.
Jim Gibb
The Lost Towns Project