From:
Querida David <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:32:05 +0930
OK,here's my bit about these gifts, and although the topic has been
discussed much, it will not go away until we can use our collective
wisdom and/or influence to get rid of these packs altogether or
replace them with something else.

I loved the quote from Susan "What you permit, you promote"

When I had my babies (in Australia) we also received a plastic
*bounty* bag of 'goodies' although none of them was formula or coupons
for formula or formula advertising. They included, if I can remember
correctly, a bottle of juice, some baby jelly, rice cereal (all of
which were out of date by the time baby was old enough to have the
stuff!) a parenting magazine, another magazine - both handy for
reading in hospital, some baby bath liquid, a discount promo for
photography, discount 'educational toy' coupons, some disposable
nappies and that's about it. There was a bottle nipple in one of them,
I remember, but they were very breastfeeding friendly, even 13 years
ago. Oh, and I got some goodies from the ladies at the local church, a
knitted baby hat, or socks or coathanger.

I know I have said this before, but why would you give every mum a
breastpump? it is just another (mostly unnecessary) gadget that they
don't need and the only one that profits from this practice is the
company that makes the pumps. Besides all that, I spend numerous hours
comforting and counselling mums who try to use the darn things and
think they have no milk. Just more work for us and probably a few more
mums buying baby poi...sorry, formula when they can't pump and assume
they have no milk left!

Querida