From:
Singdoula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 02:19:30 EDT
Hello Lactnetters,
I suppose this may be along the same lines as the Jerry Springer letter.
After a 29 hr. delivery earlier this evening (I am a doula), I got into a huge
heated discussion with a midwife, OB nurse, MD and LC about the impact of
"crazy breastfeeding weirdos" (let's call them CBFWs).  The discussion was
about how the individuals got this way to begin with (and if being nursed into
toddlerhood was part of the "problem" / or if being fed ABM was the problem),
and whether or not these individuals have any impact (positive or negative) on
promoting breastfeeding.  If you don't know the people I'm referring to, they
are the one's that Instant Message you (if you have AOL) at 3am, because your
personal profile mentions the word "breastfeeding".  They are usually
offensive adult males OBSESSED with everything surrounding the subject of BF.
The midwife in our discussion group swore that she came accross a study that
stated a name for this disorder, and that the study linked it to breastfeeding
and sexual abuse.  The OB nurse thought she had heard that boys that BF after
age 2 develop this.  The most heated part of our discussion was in response to
a statement that if you are "pro-breastfeeding" it always helps the
cause....even if your opinions aren't based in wanting what's best for
baby....anyone have an opinion about this???  any studies out there about
CBFWs?
now I need some sleep
Adriana Samargia Kaufman, PLA