Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 16:05:40 -0500
>It seems to be that even if recanalization takes place, babies of
>mothers with nipples removed and relocated would not be able to position
>their gums behind the collection sinuses and would not be able to
>"breastfeed" effectively.  They would have to rely on a strong milk
>ejection reflex?????

I worked with a mom last year who had this type of surgery 16 years before
she gave birth and she did have a good milk supply and baby was able to
feed fine at the breast.  Everything re-positioned itself as it should be.
Baby is 1 year now and still breastfeeding.

I'm sure there are a lot of variables, but I believe that a mom should
assume that she will have an adequate supply and delivery system until it
is shown to be otherwise.  We all know what doubt does to a supply and to
breastfeeding technique.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee
mailto:[log in to unmask]