From:
Patty Spanjer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 08:50:43 -0400
Yesterday, my 17 month old son, Drew, had to be put to sleep for dental
work.  There were actually holes in his upper four teeth, right along the
gum line.
While he was in the OR we got a call telling us they were going to have to
cut the upper frenulum, the connective tissue between the lip to the gum,
and restitch it higher. It seems his was so tight and thick, that stuff got
caught under it, causing decay. Another benifit of cutting it occured that
was unexpected.  Nursing Drew has always been uncomfortable and sometimes
painful. Now it is not!! The redone frenulum has made a world of diference!
I never realized this could make such a difference, and Drew is the 5th
child I have nursed.  I have also done breastfeeding conseling for 20
years! I thought nursing him was no fun because he has such a strong suck,
which he still does, but it no longer hurts! What a learning experience!
Today Drew is back to terrorizing his older brother, running around like
crazy and demanding to go outside-his normal self.
Patty Spanjer, IBCLC, Dalton, Georgia