From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 11:05:38 -0800
Hi All,
In my NSHO (not so humble opinion) we are again looking at a case of
"faulting the breastmilk" regardless of what the "faults of ABM" are.  OK so
THC isn't the greatest thing for babies (or adults, for that matter), but is
it better for the baby to get ABM while mom pumps and dumps, or to get a
small amount of THC plus all the myriad benefits of breastmilk, mom-bonding,
etc?  It is any wonder that a mom would give up BF if she was told "You must
pump and dump for one month then you can breastfeed", when we all know that
one month of ABM will mess up the babys gut, the relationship with mom (to a
degree that can range from mild to severe), and have a one month old baby
looking at the breast (when it is "safe" to go back) like it is something
from outer space (You want me to do what with this thing???).
What I would say to a mom who has tested positive for THC (who is doing this
testing and why, anyway?) is "Hey, you have THC in your breastmilk, knock
off the Pot and take care of your baby.  No need to pump and dump, just
don't smoke anymore, OK?"  Don't even tell a stressed out mom how long the
THC may stay in her breastmilk because that would likely stress her out even
more.  Just let her know that it would not be a good idea to continue and why.
From my high-school education (14 yrs ago...that long already??) I learned
that it takes about 7-10 days for the THC in one "joint" to leave the fatty
tissues in the body.  I am assuming that if a mom has been told that she
must P & D for 30 that she must have smoked a lot of Pot!
Jay
Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, CA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."
ICQ#4681696