From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 14:30:54 -0600
>A word of caution about REDUCING dairy products during pregnancy. In
>Harry Torney's research (Prolonged, on-demand breastfeeding and dental
>caries--an investigation.  Tormey PH. 1992. M Dent Sc Thesis. Trinity
>College, Dublin, Ireland) which has been mentioned on Lactnet before, one
>of the factors for an increased incidence of dental decay was a reduction
>of the amount of dairy consumed during pregnancy because of a concern
>about allergies.

There must be another factor involved here, as most of the world, both
prehistorically and today, does not drink milk in adulthood -- including
during pregnancy, and most of the world's children (prehistorically and
today) do NOT have the dental decay problems we see in children in "modern"
countries today.

Thanks to all who sent references and leads!

Kathy D.
mailto:[log in to unmask]