From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 23:13:56 -0000
>Someone from Israel (sorry, I forgot who it was) , asked if it is
>possible that the milksupply decreasses shortly after one starts on
>Zoloft.
>
>I am no docter, but have some experience in the use of Zoloft. One of
>the side effects of Zoloft, is a very dry mouth. Maybe that woman
>started to drunk that much, to resolve her thirst, that it started to
>suppres the milk production.

Okay, I feel a little worried. I'm working with a mom right now who came
to me at 1 mo. pp to relactate. This is that baby that "broke out" at the
breast, as posted earlier.  There were multiple issues--- very unhappy
baby, familial history of milk allergies, almost no milk, refusal to go
to breast, AND mom was struggling with depression and her OB refused to
prescribe anything for her if she intended to breastfeed (strong
depression history, was on Prozac during her pregnancy).  I would have
liked to use metoclopramide on her, but with the depression history and
the possible side-effects of this drug, there was just no way.  I wish we
had access to domperidone!  So we've instituted fenugreek and blessed
thistle.

I also shared with her some recent articles discussing the SSRIs and
suggesting that Zoloft would be acceptable, and  a week into our
relactation efforts, she finally got approval from the pediatrician to
take it.  So far so good.  Then, at about the 3 week mark, she calls me
asking if Zoloft could decrease her milk supply.  Being that we are in
the building stage I think it would be hard to make such an assumption,
but the very fact that she had that perception coupled with the recent
posts to lactnet have me worried.  I really feel caught between a rock
and a hard spot in coming up with an alternative to what we have
painstakingly hammered out.

On the good side---- baby is doing *so* much better, getting at least an
ounce or more from mom at each feeding. Face is much clearer and most of
the fussiness has subsided.  He *needs* the breastmilk, and mom *needs*
antidepressant therapy (has suicidal urges when it gets really bad).

What else can we do?

-Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC