From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:16:17 -0700
>Once upon a time, I've read some postings about waste candy feeding for
>bees.In South Korea, sugar price is now very high due to very difficult
>economic situation. So I'm very interested in waste candy from candy
>factory because I think waste cany will be cheap.
>...1) Sugar type used in candy factory  2) Is there any effective method to
remove the coloring dye of waste
>candy ?

I bought the contents of the vats at a bankrupt candy factory about ten
years back.  There were a variety of sugar types.  I suppose it worked out
okay, but knowing what I know now, I would not do it again unless I had an
inventory sheet describing the exact components of each batch.

All kinds of sugars and additives are used in candy making.  Invert sugars
used for candy may be acid inverted and this is hard on bees under many
conditions.  Starches may be involved too.  No one claims candy is good for
people.  Is it good for bees?  That depends...  After all bees are very
different from us and require diets that are very different too.  Some
things we can eat are bad for them and vice versa.

Again, my advice is to be sure you get an ingredients list and run it by a
bee scientist or crack open your 'Hive and the Honeybee'.

As for the dyes, if you suspect they will wind up in your honey, then
reconsider feeding.  Otherwise they should be harmless.

After all, honey is defined legally as being made from the nectar from
flowers, not the product of cane sugar or invert sugars from man-made
products.  A conscientious beekeeper must ensure that as little as possible
(none) of the bee feed used gets into supers that are bound for extraction.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to ask more if you have specific questions I
have not covered.

Allen