From:
Anne Robb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 16:28:35 -0800
After all the posts about sleep issues, weaning, crying it out and
development of babies I am pushed to write to the authors of the book,
"Sleep Thieves." Forgive me for not having it handy, as I was so mad I
rushed out of the store before writing it down and haven't had the chance to
go back, yet....
        This book talks about that Americans are doing to themselves and
their bodies with sleep deprivation. There is a 4 or 5 page section on
infants sleep.
        Which was WONDERFUL, until the very last page... It talks about
development of circadian rhythms and where the "4 hour feeding" schedules
came from research on infant patterns, that 25% of 3-4 year olds will wake
at least once per night requiring the assistance of an adult to return ot
sleep... and that these patterns are NORMAL!!! and then the last page has a
huge box, "How to train your 4-month old to sleep longer" with all the the
infamous "Ferber" techniques...
AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Anne,
        Who took a copy of a parenting magazine out of an OB/GYN waiting
room bc it had a full spread on lauding praises on the man behind the
message, "cry it out" --Ferber
        Wonder what he thinks of these studies/reports about the harm his
method causes???
I'll have to send him some copies...