From:
Cherie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 22:34:12 -0800
I do not post very often but I was so sad to see that Dr. Newman
recommended meat for the first couple of years! Please educate yourself on
the topic of vegetarianism as well as you have on breastfeeding. I look up
to you for your comments on breastfeeding. For everyone else-here is my 2
cents worth... vegetarian (vegan also) babies and children can thrive very
well. There are plenty of products available now (as well as eating beans
and nuts) that contain iron. If the child gets a variety of  foods, then
there shouldn't be cause for any concern. Studies (from my Sizer and
Whitney Nutrition text for my class) and the ADA report on vegetarians
states that vegans have no more anemia than meat-eaters. Lacto-ovo
vegetarians may experience anemia more if one is drinking an excess of
cow's milk-this can lead to anemia in children as well. My son is 4 years
old and Vegan and is a shining example of health to this point! He has
always been in the 90-100 growth chart percentiles (although I don't
promote the use of the charts) and he is extremely strong, fit and
intelligent! Please stop the misconception that we so often hear about
vegetarian and vegan children. Let us focus on the NUTRIENT needs
themselves-not a personal lifestyle choice of obtaining them!-Cherie Moore,
Nutrition Instructor, Cuesta College