From:
Janet Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 10:20:17 -0600
With the recent entries about 24-26 week gest supply that I had to write
again concerning this.  We are sending home an ex 26 weeker DOB 11/22/97
BW 700gm today fully breastfeeding with a current weight of 1.646kg.
Mom is a 36 y/o SBF G3P1Ab2 who had never carried a pregnancy to term or
breastfed.  She had an initial supply of 6-8 oz/pumping Q3hr.  She
decreased her pumping to 4-5 times daily and continued to obtain a
significant amount of approx. 4-6oz/pumping.  Amazing isn't it!  This
infant had every complication but responded well.  Her feedings were
fortified at full enteral feedings to 24cal/oz and skin to skin holding
was initiated when she was stable and off the ventilator at approx.
1/6/98.  Nursing began at approx. 1/12/98 with supplementation via
OGT/NGT.  She has never received an artificial nipple although we did
utilize pacifiers with OGT feedings prior to her going to the breast.
This mom was committed to her infant and to nursing her!  She was able
to remain at the hospital throughout the infants stay.  Unfortunately
this is not the norm, although I am finding that as the nursing staff's
knowledge and support of these mothers increases so does our success.  I
too would like to know the formula for success in these very special
very small infants.
Janet Bryant RN, ICLC