From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 10:07:10 -0600
> I can get New Zealand queen in the second week of April, a week or so
> earlier than the Hawaiian ones.  I really want to try Carniolans, but I
> also want the queens as early as possible.  I have three colonies in one
> yard that are very much ahead of what they (I think) should be at this
> time.  When looking at the bottom brood box, the area of bees is
> approximately 70-75 % of the area of the chamber.  The cluster appears to
> be quite larger than a basketball.

That is an ideal size for now.  (I have many that are presently larger than
that).  Don't forget that these are old bees after the winter -- bees with
reduced brood feeding capabilities and perhaps some disease load.  They may
diminish in number rapidly once brood rearing and foraging starts in
earnest.  Don't make the mistake that even seasoned pros make of splitting
before the first real round of brood has been raised with incoming pollen.
Otherwise your splits may dwindle below viable size.

Also remember that if you split the basketball-sized cluster that you will
not make two separate clusters that are each half that size.  The cluster
is that size now because the many bees can make lots of heat.  Half the
bees will have trouble maintaining the temperature and will contract.  I
would not split anything that did not have brood in two chambers until
around garden planting time.

If you want to do something, I'd consider equalizing a bit between hives --
with all the usual caveats.  Otherwise wait until more settled weather and
you have younger populations (remember old bees do not accept new queens
well).   Acting too soon, you could chill brood if the bees cannot keep it
warm. Better to feed and medicate now and encourage them to grow bigger
before splitting.

The ideal time to split is when you are sure that two queens can
outperform the one,  given the total number of bees available and
conditions.  Usually early in the season you will see that the limitation
is *not* the queen, but the supporting bees, temperatures, and the feed
quality.  Once you see the queen is about to reach her limits, and not
using the full capabilities of the bees she has available, then it is time
to split since a second queen will add more brood production in total.

Let the bees tell you when and what to do.

Having said all this, you might, however be able to steal enough bees and
brood from several hives to make an extra hive or two that covers *at
least* three full frames on a cool day with one frame with a patch of brood
in the centre after the winter bees are replaced.  I would prefer four.

Bee careful.

Allen
---
Newsflash!  Visit http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/beel.htm
to search BEE-L archives the easy, easy way or to
update or change your subscription options.
---