From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 17:25:31 -0600
> Anyway, can anyone offer any other points in favor of a trailer, vs. a
> pickup or other bed-truck?  Besides the slight complications in driving,
> I wonder if anyone has found this to be a better arrangement, at least on
> a sideliner-scale.

We use both flat beds and trailers.  The trucks have a 16 foot by 8 foot
deck and the trailers have about the same deck area as the trucks.

The trailers have a greater capacity as far as weight is concerned, and
tag along as extra capacity when we need it.  With a trailer, we can
double our payload, even considering that the truck itself has to carry
fewer boxes becauseof the hitch weight.  The rest of the time the trucks
suffice.

We have also cut the standard boxes off normal 3/4 and 1/2 tons and made
simple decks to put on.  I said it before -- and I'll say it again: If I
had to keep bees out of only a standard pickup box rather than a flat
deck, I'd quit.  Period.

In that regard, a small trailer for your truck offers promise, 'cause you
can keep the standard truck box -- after all it is handy for carrying
loose junk, and have a nice little flat bed trailer with hooks and ropes
-- the best of both worlds!  (Exclamation mark thanks to DE -- since he
hasn't been around lately to use the entire available supply all up in
just one post<G>)

I've also seen decks put on top of the box, sticking out a foot or so on
each side.  Altho' such decks are high, I think they are still better than
reaching over the side of a typical box. And if your tailgate works, you
have a huge cave to store your odds and ends.

> My pickup has a permanently frozen tailgate, so I have fun lifting the
> supers over the sides.

Gee.  I'd fix that first.  See your local auto wrecker -- preferably a
rural one.  Tip: Be prepared to wait around and be good humoured.  Admire
all the junk convincingly.  Eventually they'll decide they like you and
take pity and fix it for next to nothing -- especially if you are not too
fussy about the colour.

While you are there, talk about trailers and decks.

Allen

If you do get a trailer, be sure to read my post about the dangers
carefully.  That and a lot of discussion about trucks and trailers can be
found in the logs.

---
Newsflash!  Visit http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/beel.htm
to search BEE-L archives the easy, easy way or to
update or change your subscription options.
---