From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 07:46:43 -0500
Wanted to add my .02 about conferences and babies.  It is important that
attendees be able to listen and speakers be able to speak ininterrupted
(relatively) at ocnference sessions. However, nursing mothers
who attend conferences are also a boon to the conference for
all that they bring as individuals with professional and
personal experience. I agree with Kathy that under about 8-9
months the babies are usually quiet or quietable easily. Beyond
that age they are mobile and want to explore. They are also
beginning to be verbal.
  In addition to a child care room, canthere also be a child care provider
so that mothers have the option of returning to the session when
their babies are settled in. some of us come
to conferences with nursing toddlers who can be put in child care for several
hours. I think that the child care should be paid for by the conference
itself rather than by mothers. After all, we all value the input and
contriubtions of the mothers who are putting their babies in the
child care.
  I have been to conferences of other organizations that have this
arrangement and I have never understood why, of all people, l.c.s
don't have this arrangement.
  Good luck with the conference planning.
   Naomi Bar-Yam PhD