From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 12:12:34 -0800
>      In approximately 1 1/2 years of continued use of mineral oil in my hives,
> I have not noticed any effect on the larvae.  The oil, as I apply it, does not
> affect the larvae.

Hi Pedro and All,

    What tests were performed to proove out the vialibility of the larva
after the mineral oil was applied? Larva-Bee count with contol hives?
  I have no dought about  FGMO killing Varroa.We can kill varroa with many
different means. A fine mist of oil was used years ago to kill the
mites.It killed the mites and some bees along with it because the
application did not have a standard.Over the last year we have had
beekeepers here in Washington State , using spray bottles and killing all
of there bees. A little bit of information is inherently dangerous in the
hands of beekeepers.Carefully applied , means different things to
different people. Its like, not much.
 I applaud the time and energy that Dr.Rodriguez has put into the use of
FGMO.He is like many others , working to solve the mite problem.We may be
getting closer to a strain of bee that will need nothing but themselves to
control the mite. In the mean time, we need to keep our eyes wide open and
think about what we put into the beehive.
 Case in point. Here in Washington State , we have a gentleman that has
sold a product called Mite Solution.He has sold a lot of it to big
commerical beekeepers.He has been fined $3,780 by the EPA.( ABJ page
18-1998 )The claim of the product was, it is all food grade.He did not
register with the EPA. He was told to stop selling the product in May of
1995.A good friend of mine has used it and had no problems with it that he
could tell.He had no mites after the use of the product. If it was so good
, why didn't he register it with the EPA and save himself $3,000
.Something is wrong with the picture.
 Take small steps and review all the data before you use anything on the
bees.I'm not saying that FGMO is not a fix for the mites.It needs peer
review of the tests conducted.
Best Regards and Happy Beekeeping to All
 Roy