Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 18:21:21 -0700
  This is only partly related to breastfeeding but maybe some of you who
work at childrens hospitals could help.
  When my oldest daughter was eight years old, she needed several
extensive surgeries at the childrens hospital 200 miles from our home. We
were able to make arrangements for our 6 year old to stay at home with
grandparents. But, as lacnetters can understand ,it was not even in the
realm of possibility  to leave our 11 month old. This made for some real
trying times at the hospital. Of all the the stange places I've nursed ,
the radiloogiststs consulting room is among the strangest. It was
especially difficult because ,for good reasons, the baby was not allowed
in  ICU. It was some what better in the regular rooms. But there were
times when both parents wanted to be at the bedside , when we both wanted
to hear what the doctors had to say. And hospitals are just not safe
places for crawling babies to explore. What really would have helped
would have been an onsite childcare where I could have left the baby for
short periods at a time. The hopital staff suggested I leave the baby at
a daycare across town!!!
 Another family from our town travels to the childrens hospital for out
patient treatment for their  baby . It is impossible to listen to the
doctors with their two year old in tow. They aren't comforatable leaving
her over night so they travel 200 miles, spend several hours visiting
various clinics and come back all in one day.
 There really is a need for some sort of childcare at the hospital. I'd
like to propose this  and would like input from anyone whose hospital has
this service.
 Please email me privately with details on how it is arranged.
 Thankyou
  Mary Graden LLL Idaho