Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 22:59:56 -0400
I support Dr. Newman in his thinking on lack of evidence of the need for
iron fortified formula after six months of life.  In fact I do not think
any special formula is needed, at least in the West Indies, once the baby
is eating from the "family pot" as CFNI (Caribbean Food & Nutrition
Institute) recommends.  CFNI was founded by Derrick and Patrice Jelliffe,
by the way.  In my personal experience after 10 years of doing hematocrits
(blood counts) on 9 month babies who have basically been exclusively
breastfed for four to six months and then fed whatever the mother eats
(rice, peas, callalloo, fish, mango etc. etc) from then on, I have still to
find a baby who was anaemic.  I should add that even babies who were
formula fed but then went on to the family pot are seldom anaemic at nine
months.   David, paediatrician, Trinidad, West Indies.