From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 17:19:23 -0500
I'm not a nurse, but I AM a mother, grandmother, gym teacher, BLS
Instructor-Trainer (CPR), certified in first aid and lifesaving, and keen
observer of babies. I've been a LLL Leader for 24 years and an IBCLC since
its inception. I too have been the first to identify illness or other
conditions in a breastfeeding client (mom or baby). That's why I preach so
much about the idea of the health care TEAM.

I have one disagreement with Kathy A's post: ICEA isn't all non-RNs and
non-medical approaches; and is the only major perinatal organization that
has not ratified the CIMS/Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative document.
ASPO isn't all RNs and medical-approaches and is a major player toward
de-medicalizing birthing. I am certified by both and a long-term member of
both associations. ASPO has done more for me personally as a non-nurse
childbirth educator than ICEA has (I let my ICCE certification expire
because of this) but that may have more to do with local politics than
distinguishing features of the associations. Just MHO.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre
Dayton, OH USA
http://www.bflrc.com