Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 18:57:19 -0600
I have found that babies who are suctioned of mucous in the stomach take a
longer time to move the meconium from their intestines.  They are slow in
moving their bowels even when breastfeeding is going well. IMO the mucous
in the stomach is supposed to be there (because it IS there), and its
removal to force the baby to eat sooner is one of those interventions that
cause problems where there were none. I suspect that the mucous is of
benefit in lubricating the intestines for the removal of the meconium.

This intestinal problem is in addition to the sore throat that interferes
with feeding.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee

mailto:[log in to unmask]