From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 16:40:50 -0600
Yes, yes, The Vital Touch ain't perfect, but it's a sight better than "What
to Expect" or "Babywise".  In fact, it's a WHOLE LOT better than those
books.  And the crumbs tossed out at the end of many sections ("don't feel
guilty if you have to use formula") in no way, IMNSHO, negate the wonderful
job she does gathering together and explaining the new research in an easy
to understand way.

Remember, a lot of times what we need isn't something "perfect" to convince
the mother who doesn't WANT to be attached to her baby.  What we need is
something to convince the in-laws, nosy neighbors, fussy pediatrician, etc.,
that what we are already doing in terms of attachment parenting is normal
and natural and healthy and supportive by scientific research.

Just as with my research on age at weaning, I am not concerned so much (if
at all) with convincing mothers who don't want to breastfeed or who are
tired of breastfeeding to continue just because it is normal and natural and
healthy and good for their baby.  I am very concerned with convincing the
health care professionals, and aforementioned in-laws and nosy neighbors,
that a mother breastfeeding a 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 year old is not abusing her
baby.  There are plenty of mothers out there practicing "extended"
breastfeeding and attachment parenting, and they need support.  "The Vital
Touch" DOES support this type of parenting, even if she gets a few of the
details wrong.  It will alert a broad readership to this new research.

For example, probably nobody but me noticed or even cares that the author
mixes up chimpanzees and "monkeys" in the book.  Chimpanzees are apes, not
monkeys -- but it really doesn't negate the point she was making.

Let's take an LLL approach to this book -- take what is useful and helpful,
and leave the rest.

Kathy D.
mailto:[log in to unmask]