Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 09:14:36 +0000
Well this is what it's all about, isn't it?  The health professionals
make the mother believe that her milk is dangerous for her baby.  So she
decides to formula feed.  The mother is made to feel guilty for
breastfeeding.  They are so much subtler, so much smarter than we are.

We talk about respiratory and ear infections, and juvenile diabetes.
They don't.  They just take the baby to the NICU and say "to save his
brain and life, we got to give formula and no breastmilk".  A mother
would have to be a turnip not to get the message.

It's still not too late to breastfeed of course.  But if anyone said to
the mother now "it's not too late, give it a try", they would be raked
over the coals for "forcing women to breastfeed".

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC