From:
Kellie Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 07:17:29 EST
Hi fellow lactnetters,
I have been lurking for quite some time. Let me reintroduce myself.  I am a
IBCLC in private practice doing mother/baby home care and lactation
consulting.  I live in East Texas.  I have been a MCH RN for 19 years and an
IBCLC for 5.  I started the first hospital based lactation service here in E.
Texas then decided to try going solo.  I LOVE IT!    I have 2 patients that I
need your input on.
 1ST..  Mom with 5 month old with GI bleeding.  Baby started having bloody
stools on total BF.  MD finally took baby off the breast for a 2 week trial
and baby quit bleeding.  Put baby back to breastmilk with 1/2 nutramagen and
1/2 breastmilk baby did fine for about  2 weeks then stools turned mucous then
bleeding again.  Off breastmilk again and bleeding stopped.  Mom is healthy,
takes no meds. and baby is healthy gaining weight no obvious distress.    The
only thing I can think is posssible milk allergy due to mom's milk intake.  I
recommended mom stop  all milk product for 2 weeks, pump & dump, then try back
to breast again.  ANY suggestions?

2nd.  Mom with 6 month old.  Back at work and pumping.  Pumped milk is fine
just after pumping but once it ages a few hours, it smells rancid. This is
true for fresh pumped milk as well a  frozen.  I found reference to elevated
lipase in moms can cause this.  Sug gested it to mom and that she would need
to scald her milk to stop some of the lipase production and  it worked.  Mom
wants to know if there is anything she can do to decrease lipase or correct
this problem.  She is not real excited about having to pump then bring milk
home and scald it every day.
I have not been able to answer her question.  Does anyone out there know what
she can do?

Thanks
Kellie Richardson  RNC IBCLC
Lactation Station