From:
Jparks1041 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:11:24 EST
In a message dated 98-01-15 10:42:59 EST, KBruce wrote:

<<  There are many schools of thought on lactation, and everyone has
 good ideas to share, with (the two respected breastfeeding advocates) being
two of our most outstanding
 contributors in our field.  >>

I feel the need to clarify my query:  I have less than no interest in
discussing any topic that concerns a personal problem between two people of
which I am not one--pointless and usually harmful.  I saw the term "rift" used
in passing some time back on Lactnet to describe the two schools of thought
involved here, and was quite honestly asking for info on **whether** this
topic was up for discussion (if, for example, it was a scholarly difference
rather than a personal one). As I mentioned in my original post, I hoped that
anyone would:

<< E-mail me privately if this is personal/none of my business/inappropriate
for discussion on Lactnet.>>

I want to thank those of you who emailed me privately and explained the actual
differences of opinion.  Any field that has many experts and pioneers also has
differences of opinion among those folks.  As someone who spends a great deal
of time and energy educating myself as to the best way possible to be an
advocate and supporter of breastfeeding, I feel that it is incumbent on me to
know as much as I can about what theories are in practice and in conflict, and
why.  After all, informed consent is as important to the lactation support
person in their work as it is to the mothers we try to empower--we both have
to make choices as to the info/practices we use.  From my perspective, hurt
feelings would be a little out of place if **theories** and not people were
being discussed.  If the issues are so important that they have indeed caused
a schism in the field-- and several of the private replies seem to indicate
this--then perhaps they are important enough to discuss?  I can't imagine this
being the case in any other field.

I am trying to learn as much as I can here, not engage in conflict, and I hope
that is clear.

Lactnet owners, can the differences--without the people they are attached to--
be discussed?  Thank you for your patience with me.

Joy Berry-Parks