Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 12:49:11 EST
<< All of this reinforced the importance of breastfeeding.  During this
 incredibly stressful time, this is one need that could have been met
 easily, safely and quickly.  My colleague, Dr. Susan Henly, and I did a
 great deal of reflection on this issue when things began to return to
 normal.  We feel strongly that encouraging mothers to breastfeed should
 be part of our emergency disaster preparation. >>

This really hit home during Hurricane Andrew back in 1992.  My motto then, and
has become, "You should breastfeed....just in case...."  After all, many
health professionals encourage women to give bottles, "just in case...."  Why
are we not encouraging breastfeeding, "just in case....???"  (For more reasons
than that, obviously, but truly, why aren't we?

Jan Barger, where it is snowing in Wheaton, but I don't think we are going to
have either a blizzard, ice storm, or flooding.  Certainly not a hurricane.