Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 09:20:49 +0800
7BIT
From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Hi everyone
You may remember that about 6 weeks ago I posted about a mum who had
recurrent abscess formation in one part of her breast - originally
whilst breastfeeding, second time whilst pregnant, and last 2 or 3
times when neither bf or preg.
Her surgeon has put her on an anti-inflammatory and a low-dose
tricycyclic antidepressant - presumably for pain.
I did a medline search and came up with some factors which affect
non-puerperal breast abscess, and I thought I'd share them.

Heavy smoking increases the risk
Anaemia and 'thyroid disorders' increases risk. The abstract of the
german paper didn't explain what type of thyroid disorders these
were.
Often the infecting bacteria were unusual, and should always be
cultured.
In two articles, the effect of prolactin was measured. In some cases
women had permanently high prolactin levels when measured (and a few
had pituitary adenomas which hadn't been detected before). Others
only had a rise in prolactin levels about 3 weeks before the abscess
recurred. Most of the women were treated with long-term bromocriptine
(parlodel) which cured them. Don't know doses, or how long they used
it.
Interesting eh?
If anyone has access to the journal Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd, the
articles are there.

Fiona

Fiona Coombes MBBS IBCLC               [log in to unmask]
Lactation Consultant, Family Physician
Perth Western Australia