Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 22:46:02 EST
Dear Lori,
What wasn't clear in your post was there obvious swallowing?  The amount of
time the baby spends on the breast will not tell you much.  Also there was no
mention on how the baby's wt was.  I would have my first suspicion be the poor
suck/swallow ratio; brought on by an inadequate suckling.  Mom could certainly
have sore nipples from this type of sucking but not necessarily.  The delayed
mature milk could be caused by the inadequate suck and a C/S birth.
I would definately give pumping a try, to stimulate the breast and to obtain
her milk to give the baby for suplementation.  I would also recommend
suplementing at the breast, to continue stimulation at the breast, improve the
suck/swallow, and the skin-to-skin contact.
For the infection, there are several possibilities and none of them
necessarily related to breastfeeding; the surgery, UTI, or URI.
Hope this helps.
Ann Perry RN IBCLC