From:
Brian Maves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 22:02:33 +0900
I may be completely off-base on this one, but it seems to me that I have
read (or heard...maybe at an LLLI Conference???) that some ethnic groups
have different breastfeeding "rules".  I'm almost positive that Hispanics
often didn't feed their babies colostrum because of the belief that is was
somehow "bad" for their babies.....did I make this up, get it wrong or am I
horribly out of date?  Of course I realize that this wouldn't apply to
*every* Hispanic woman, but might this be part of what you're seeing in your
follow-ups (if it's even accurate, of course)?

On Jan 16, Marie Davis wrote:
."  I have seen several Hispanic moms engorged to their collar bones who
tell me
>they have no milk (The translator already knows my next question "Well,
what
>do you think is in there?") Given the numbers of women with problems I am
left
>wondering what happened to them before this?  We weren't seeing this many
in
>the lactation clinic.

Just a guess,
Gina Gile-Maves
LLL Leader
Misawa, Japan
mom of Mallory (8yo) Kelsey (6yo) Mitch (4yo) and Jenna (5mos)