From:
John Vanek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 22:58:34 -0800
I apologize if this has been discussed in the past. I went to a
Le Leche League conference in Nov. in Lancaster, PA. One of the
physician/presenters discussed a research article entitled, "The effect
of Postoperative Analgesia with Continuous Epidural Bupivacaine After
C-Section on the Amount of Breast Feeding and Infant Weight Gain." It
was published in Anesthesia Analg 1996; 1166-9. This research duscusses
how pain control during and post-delivery via epi. bupivacaine has a
positive effect on breastmilk intake due to the fact that catecholimines
inhibit the oxytocin-induced MER (Catecholimines being a side effect of
pain). Thus, pain control increases milk intke. I'm curious for your
input on this paper. I've read the original paper, but am somewhat new
to research and statistics so I don't feel comfortable believing all I
read.

        I'd also like to respond to Lucy's comment re:RN/non-RN IBCLC's;
we need to respect all health professionals for their knowledge. The
floor RN's use our expertice for breastfeeding, but I use much of their
post-partum expertice re; mom's health, general emotional status, social
situation, etc.... We can all learn from our co-workers. I tell parents
when they comment on my bfeeding knowledge; "I feel so fortunate to be
paid to keep up on the latest research and gain much hands-on experience
in breastfeeding; most physicians, RNs, don't have the luxury to focus
so much time on one aspect of health care." I really mean this, too!

Thanks,
Dawn BSN, IBCLC & (FNP/MSN student)