From:
The Shillings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 01:42:54 -0700
Thanks for all the info sent on Hirschsprung Disease!  I learned more in
24 hours about a disease that previously I wasn't even sure how to spell.
I called the original Physician Assistant and shared summaries of your
insights and my concerns about everything this growing, content baby was
going to be going through just because he wasn't pooping very often - every
two weeks or so.  Even though she was concerned about what she felt on the
initial rectal exam, she has encouraged the mother to postpone the barium
enema on Monday.  Yeah!!  This is a wonderful P.A.  who really encourages
her patients to use all their resources in learning about their family's
health...as opposed to being threatened when a patient questions them.  I'm
sure she'll take some heat from the pediatrician to whom she had referred
this baby but she is use to this in her role of advocating for patients.  I
will keep you posted as to any changes.  (She also encouraged the mom to
stop supplementing this 4 month old with food and to stop using
suppositories, etc. to trust that the baby was very efficient at processing
breastmilk and would poop when he needed to..the mom is also taking other
hints sent to me on lactnet like not taking her prenatal vitamin with iron
and not consuming dairy to see if either of these change the stooling
pattern.)

I'll be forever grateful for all the helpful posts I received, especially
during a very busy time for most.  Thank you, thank you.

Teri Shilling, MS, FACCE, IBCLC
in cold, crisp Colorado where even though it's been below zero, the
neighbors told me it's not even cold YET.