Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 21:01:18 EST
In a message dated 97-12-23 19:45:52 EST, Pat Bull writes:

<< For any of you "older" nursery ,nurses.  Remember years ago when the Drs.=

 orders were "NPO for 6-? hrs. after birth" ????   >>

Let me all assure you that Pat is VERY young.  Those of us who are REALLY old
(as in VERY WISE) (and allowed to wear purple, which Pat is not for quite a
number of years), remember the days when NPO for 24 hours was the norm.  My
own daughter was NPO for 12 hours (1974).  Do you suppose that's why she had
to repeat pharmacology in nursing school?  Or do you suppose it was because
she was a vaginal breech delivery (first time baby at that).  Of course, we
also have to remember that back then they continued to give glucose water
after every breastfeed, so perhaps we covered up a multitude of potentially
dehydrated babies.....

Yes?  No?  anyone else remember, or were told that by "much" older nurses???
<VBG>

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.... and a belated Happy
Hanukkah as well....

Jan B. in Wheaton