From:
Patricia Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 07:37:09 -0500
I am already seeing the impact of welfare changes here in NJ.  Moms must go
to work or school.  No allowances being made for BF or sick kids.  It's
kind of hard to have it both ways - BF = less sick kids, bottle feed = more
sick kids.  I've been spending a fair amount of time writing letters to
keep moms out of programs until 6 weeks.  Welfare needs the same awareness
about the benefits of BF and working as the regular work force.  ie:
schedules that give an adequate time off to initiate BF, time and place to
express milk when back at work or school.  It's the usual "put the cart
before the horse", have a program and then find out if it works!  And in
the meantime wreck BF for moms and babies who really need it.  Sincerely,
Pat Young in SNJ, USA