Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 17:38:57 -0800
Content-Type:
multipart/mixed
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (-1 MB) , text/plain (-1 MB) , text/plain (-1 MB)

From [log in to unmask] Sun Feb 15 13:18:40 1998 Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.beekeeping Subject: Re: Pollination,Washington cranberries and other From: [log in to unmask] (Beetools) Date: 15 Feb 1998 21:18:40 GMT   Before you consider pollinating cranberries, you should read my Open Letter to Cranberry Growers on the BEETOOLS WWW site at http://members.aol.com/beetools - this is a very tough crop on the bees to pollinate.   There is also a paper at that site from Oregon State Univeristy on cranberry pollination.   I made a presentation to the OceanSpray growers in Bandon OR last month on this subject and what I told them in a nutshell is that the going rate this year of $40-50 per set is at the break even point when all things are considered. They will find a few beekeepers in Claifornia nd Washington that have never done cranberries who will rent for $25-35, but won't be back the next year. I also told them that they need to be prepared to pay in the $75-90 range in the future which is what cranberry grower in the Mid-west, East Coast and Canada are paying.   If I can be of any further help, let me know.   Ron Bennett, Luckiamute Bee   PS you might try to trackdown Kim Patten at WSU Long Beach Extension.    

ATOM RSS1 RSS2