From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 16:12:23 -0800
At 11:52 PM 12/22/97 +1300, you wrote:
>>  Is there any research on bees being necessary for avocado pollination?
Hi Nick,

Nick said>
>Once some years ago I did a talk on "The Sex Life of the Avocado".  I
>still remember the opening line:  "Avocados exhibit a protogynous
>dicogamy with syncronous daily compementarity".  Blank expressions...

Do honeybee's play any part in that "sex life" in your area?

Do beekeepers your area seek out growers to place bees in their groves or
is it the other way around?

Is the honey produced black tar colored, or is any produced?

Beekeepers in California place bees in Avocado groves mostly in search of
other bee pasture that may be in the same area such as Citrus or Sage.
Avocado's can be grown from the San Diego to Santa Cruz on the coast but
most commercial groves are south of LA on the coast and in the Central
Valley south of Fresno. They grow just about any place that citrus can be
grown.

ttul,  Andy-
--
Cross river *THEN* insult alligator.