Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 10:07:11 -0500
I got this as a direct, and answered it somewhat more bluntly than I
usually do.  However, the physicians are *out to lunch*.  Even if the
mother did produce antithyroid antibodies, they would not get into the
milk (remember that SIgA needs *secretory* factor to get into the
alveolar cells, and antithyroid antibodies, if I remember correctly
are IgG, which gets into milk in only miniscule quantities).
Secondly, even if some of these antibodies do get into the milk, they
would not be absorbed by the baby.

I've decided to be blunt.  I think these physicians are brain damaged.
I release Lactnet of any responsibility for what I just said.  The
devil made me do it.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC