From:
Annelies Bon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 22:29:16 +0000
I have a question about when the milk is made.
In the papers of the Dutch bf organization I'm involved with, I read:

*after one hour after nursing the breast is refilled 40%
*after two hours 75%
*after three hours 90%

I have some doubts about this, bc:

*there seems to be an underlying norm in this expression that one needs
to nurse every 4 hours to give the baby a full feed
*women have different storage capacity, so I guess the breast of some
women are sooner "full" than the breasts of other women with a large
storage capacity.
*it's my own experience that the speed of filling up the breast is
related to the frequency of the feedings. If I nurse 2 times a day, the
breasts fills up slowly between the feeds, if I nurse 10 times  a day,
the filling up is much quicker.

So, my question to you: what do you think about this?  And does anyone
knows where these numbers come from? I wouldn't be surprised if this is
extracted from a research in which the women fed on schedule.

regards,

--
Annelies Bon               http://www.flnet.nl/~0bon01/bfbronnen.html
bf counsellor in training of the Dutch bf org "Borstvoeding Natuurlijk"