From:
Paul & Kathy Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 11:55:11 -0500
Quick!! Everyone turn to page 158 of this week's Time magazine and get a
load of the Canon camera ad.  There is a large (half page) photograph of
a woman nursing twins--bare-breasted and nipples showing and the caption
in very large type reads:

"The secret to healthy children is close to nearly every mother's
heart."

The text underneath reads:

"The love between a mother and child is obvious.  But another
relationship is not so obvious:  the secret of proper nutrition and a
mother's ability to provide it.

The lack thereof is implicated in more than half of all child deaths
worldwide.  A proportion unmatched by any infectious disease in the
world today.  Yet malnutition is neither infectious nor inevitable.

It can be prevented by fortification of foods with essentials such as
vitamin A and iodine.  By increasing the knowledge and understanding of
a grpwing child's nutritional needs.  And by applying that knowledge and
understanding to help mothers provide the care so vital for the
nutritional well-being of their children.

This is why UNICEF believes that women must be assured of impartial
opportunities in education and employment so they are able to make
informed and prudent decisions.  That they have adequate time for family
concerns.  And that they receive sensitive attention from skilled
medical practitioners.

As a company that believes in living and working together for the common
good, we at Canon hope that UNICEF's message about nutrition will be
heeded throughout the world.  As a leader in photography and visual
communications, we hope that more and more mothers and children will be
properly nourished, so that more and more happiness, rather than
sadness, will be captured through the lenses of our cameras.

And we applaud all the individuals and organizations who are working to
help ensure sound nutrition.  Because there is no substitute for the
caring within a mother's heart.  Nor for the proper sustenance of her
children."

I will look for an address for Canon later.  I kicked my son off the
computer to send this...

Kathy
--

Kathy Koch, BSEd, IBCLC
Mom to Andrew, Abigail and Molly

"Within the child lies the fate of the future."   Maria Montessori