Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 13:57:34 EST
that a WIC program has good and improving bf rates.  Truly I am.  But some
agencies can have volunteers out the wazoo and they still don't change their
ways.  My local office had me (for free) to start a mailing list of last
trimester moms on their roster in order to couple their voucher pickup with
mandatory bf education.  They did this for about 8 or 9 months, and when the
only bf friendly person on staff (a dietician) left for another job the whole
program went down the tubes.  I even had to remind them to cancel the
auditorium they had reserved for the purpose!

Please note, this is *not* WIC bashing, but as was recently pointed out, the
bottom line for these agencies is funds and if they are not given the
resources and incentives to make bf a priority then it prolly won't happen.

My new years wish would be that every baby, regardless of mom's income or
literacy level, have the chance to grow on breastmilk.

Tammy Gharbi, [log in to unmask]