From:
Stephen David <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:37:58 +0930
I was doing some reading the other day and came across Maureen
Minchin's opinion on this topic in her wonderful book "Breastfeeding
Matters"
A short (sorry, not really short) quote;
"Here I would like to enter a strong plea for less emphasis on
"discreet" public feeding. It is not that I want to see every mother
baring her bosom to all and sundry, and certainly it is useful for the
new and shy mother to know ways of clothing herself so that she is not
too obvious when she feeds in public.....but that sense of
embarrassment quickly passes if the mother is feeding flexibly, in
response to her baby's needs"
"such unselfconscious feeding is practised around the world, wherever
cultural hang ups do not include crazy attitudes to breasts. It seems
to me though, that we acquiesce to that craziness by telling mothers
to breastfeed discreetly. Let them feed as they feel comfortable
doing. If some bare skin is showing, so what? Hasn't anyone noticed
what non-lactating women wear in our society?
We will only break down mindless prejudice against public
breastfeeding if enough women do it for it to lose its novelty and
shock value. People must be desensitised to the sight of babies at
breasts. Women must be more assertive and refuse to accept that their
very basic need to be able to feed their children wherever and
whenever the children need feeding should be circumscribed by the
neurotic attitudes of others..........most human societies recognise
that breastfeeding belongs wherever women belong; anything less is
blatant discrimination.
There is, of course no reason for a woman to be exposed during public
feeding, nor am I advocating that most women should bare all. But the
present negative attitudes to public feeding do discourage many women,
or so restrict their lives that they give up feeding. Therefore, those
of you who don't mind where you feed, and are not bothered by
criticism, go right ahead, with my thanks for your role in liberating
other women from such nastiness."

Oh that I were so eloquent!
For those who haven't read Maureen's book it is a wonderful
re-affirming read. A classic in breastfeeding literature and one of my
'favourites'

and just my 2c worth, If a mum is being stared at, it can also be that
the breastfeeding couple is such a beautiful sight that many find it
irresistible. My babies were fed everywhere (church, parliament house,
stores, while hiking, and once, sitting on a frozen log in the
snowfields...numb bum!) I decided to always assume that people were
approving and always gave a smile if I caught them looking. Most would
smile back, only once did anyone suggest that I go to another room,
which I politely declined and that was that. Maybe I was just lucky...

Keep smiling,
Querida

Querida David
Alyangula, NT. Australia